Accident / Personal Injury, Arbitration, Civil, Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Claims, Products Liability, Professional Malpractice
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE A lawyer, mediator, arbitrator, law professor/trainer and author. Partner and co-founder of Associates in Dispute Resolution LLC, 1999-present; Adjunct Professor, ADR, Washburn University School of Law, Spring Semesters 2007-2012; Special General Counsel/Legislative Liaison, Midland Group, 1990-03; General Counsel/Litigation Director, Kansas Legal Services, Inc., 1973-01; Litigation Director, Farmer Assistance Counseling and Training Service (FACTS), 1984-01; Director/Mediation Coordinator, Midland Mediation & Settlement Services, 1995-01; Officer, United States Air Force, 1966-70. EXPERIENCE: Has served as a Mediator/Arbitrator in more than 4,000 matters arising in federal, state and administrative agencies. These matters include civil rights, commercial law, consumer fraud, consumer protection violations, contract law, constitutional law, construction law, corporate dissolution, domestic relations, domestic relations division of assets, employment law, environmental law, fair debt collection practices, fair housing, FSLA, insurance claims/bad faith, international disputes, material and latent defects, malpractice, labor law, lemon law, personal injury, public policy residential construction, real estate, truth-in-lending, workers’ compensation, Section 1981 and 1983, toxic tort, regular education/special education disputes, securities, water law issues, wills, trusts and estates, zoning disputes, and design and development of internal dispute resolution systems. Settlements have ranged from a few thousand dollars to several million dollars.
Approved by the Kansas Supreme Court as a mediator and mediator trainer in all categories. Serves on arbitration panels for the American Arbitration Association, FINRA and National Arbitration Forum. Certified by the Kansas Department of Education as an approved special education mediator and due process hearing officer.
- Author, Successful Settlements that Last: How Mediation Best Practices Techniques Can Improve Your Settlement Strategy, Trial Tort & Insurance Section Committee News, Fall 2011.
- Author, The Evolution of Commercial Mediation in the Midwest: Best Practices, Confidentiality and Good Faith, Journal of the Kansas Bar Association, January 2010;
- Co-author, Mediation Round Table: Improving the Quality and Effectiveness of Mediation, Kansas Trial Lawyers Association Journal, Volume 26, Number 4, March 2003.
- Co-author, The Changing Face of Arbitration: What Once Was Old is New Again, Journal of the Kansas Bar Association, August, 2003
- Co-author, Discrimination in the Workplace: How Mediation Can Help American Arbitration Association Journal, February-April, 2000 (republished as a Chapter in the Handbook on Employment Arbitration in ADR, Second Edition, Jurist, LLC 2010)
- Co-author, Mediating the Multi-Party Fair Labor Standards Act Case: Terminology, Tactics & Traps, American Bar Association Spring Section Meeting, 2014.
- Has received the Governor’s Award for Exemplary and Distinguished Service to Children and Families.
- He was elected in 2011 as Chair of the Kansas Supreme Court’s Dispute Resolution Council
- He has twice received the Kansas Bar Association’s Outstanding Service Award.
- He is a 2009-2014 Super Lawyer in Kansas and Missouri.
- He is a 2011-2015 Who’s Who of International Commercial Mediators
- Best Attorneys in Kansas 2015
- U.S. News “Best Law Firm” 2015
CURRENT POSITIONLarry R. Rute is partner and co-founder of Associates in Dispute Resolution, LLC, with offices in Kansas City, Missouri, and in Topeka, Kansas. He is a full-time dispute resolution professional who has mediated more than 4,000 matters involving commercial law, consumer protection, employment law, FSLA, insurance bad faith, personal injury, toxic torts and other complex, high-profile cases, including class/collective actions. Licensed in Missouri and Kansas. ADR, LLC provides a wide-range of dispute resolution services including mediation, arbitration, special master and conflict resolution system design. ADR, LLC maintains a team of attorneys, former judges and business executives whose sole focus is settling disputes.
States Practiced In:
CO, IA, IL, KS, MO, NE
EDUCATIONWashburn University (BBA, 1966)Washburn University School of Law (JD, 1973)University of Washington School of Law (LLM, 1976).PROFESIONAL LICENSESAdmitted to the Bar: Kansas, 1973; Missouri, 2009;U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 1973U.S. District Court: District of Kansas, 1973Western District of Missouri, 2000Kickapoo Tribal Court, 2000.PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONSInternational Academy of Mediators (Distinguished Fellow & Governor)International Mediation InstituteAmerican Bar Association (Dispute Resolution, Labor & Employment, Tort Trial & Insurance Section, Family Law Sections; Immediate Past-Chair ADR Committee)American Arbitration Association (Commercial & Employment Panels); FINRA Dispute Resolution; Kansas Appleseed (Board of Directors)Kansas Bar Association (Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, Past-President); Kansas Association of Counsel for Children (Past-President);Kansas Trial Lawyers Association; Topeka Bar Association (Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, Past-Chair); Kansas Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Dispute ResolutionKansas Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Child Support GuidelinesKansas Supreme Court Advisory Committee on High-Conflict Dispute ResolutionKansas City Metropolitan Bar Association; Heartland Mediators AssociationCharter Member, Mediators Without BordersCharter Member, National Academy of Distinguished NeutralsNational Arbitration Forum; AWARDSIn 1997 he received the Governor’s Award for exemplary and distinguished service to children and families. In 1992 and 1996, he received the Kansas Bar Association’s Outstanding Service Award.2010-2011 Super Lawyer in Kansas and Missouri.Before receiving his law degree, he was awarded the Bronze Star for his development of advanced air-sea rescue techniques.RECENT PUBLICATIONSAuthor, The Evolution of Commercial Mediation in the Midwest: Best Practices, Confidentiality and Good Faith, Journal of the Kansas Bar Association, January 2010; Co-author, Discrimination in the Workplace: How Mediation Can Help American Arbitration Association Journal, February-April, 2000.Co-author, Mediation Round Table: Improving the Quality and Effectiveness of Mediation, Kansas Trial Lawyers Association Journal, Volume 26, Number 4, March 2003.Co-author, The Changing Face of Arbitration: What Once Was Old is New Again, Journal of the Kansas Bar Association, August, 2003
Fee information available upon request.